- 1 Cent
- 3 Cent
- 5 Cent
- 10 Cent
- 25 Cent
- Canada Day 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Mythical Creatures 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Province 25 Cent Coins
- CFL 25 Cent Coin and Stamp Series
- Coloured Bird 25 Cents Coins
- Holiday 25 Cents Coins
- Millennium 25 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 25 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 25 Cent Folders
- Olympic Vancouver 25 Cent Coins
- Predator vs. Prey 25 Cents Coins
- 50 Cent
- Butterfly Series 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Conservation Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Sports Firsts 50 Cent Coins
- Discovering Nature 50 Cent Coins
- Folklore & Festival 50 Cent Coins
- Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Golden Flower Series 50 Cent Coins
- Lenticular Dinosaur 50 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 50 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 50 Cent Coins
- Sport Series 50 Cent Coins
- Triangle 50 Cent Coins
- 1 Dollar
- 2 Dollar
- 3 Dollar
- 4 Dollar
- 5 Dollar
- 8 Dollar
- 10 Dollar
- Adventure Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Hockey 10 Dollar Coins
- Canoe Across Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Celebrating Canada's 150th Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Colourful Songbirds of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Day of the Dinosaurs 10 Dollar Coins
- DC Comics™ Originals 10 Dollar Coins
- Ducks of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- FIFA Women's World Cup 10 Dollar Coins
- Learning to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Legendary Nature 10 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes™ $10 Silver Coins Series
- O Canada Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Passion to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Reflections of Wildlife 10 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 10 Dollar Coins
- 15 Dollar
- 20 Dollar
- $20 for $20
- Aircraft of the First World War Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Architectural Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Aviation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Baby Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Bald Eagle Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Big Fish 20 Dollar Coins
- Bison Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Butterflies of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Landscape 20 Dollar Coins
- Celebrate Baseball 20 Dollar Coins
- Crystal Series 20 Dollar Coins
- First World War Battlefront Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Forests of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Geometry in Art 20 Dollar Coins
- Great Lakes Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Group of Seven 20 Dollar Coins
- Iconic Superman Comic Book Covers 20 Dollar Coins
- Landscape Illusion 20 Dollar Coins
- Lighthouse 20 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes 20 Dollar Coins
- Lost Ships in Canadian Waters 20 Dollar Coins
- Majestic Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- National Parks Series 20 Dollar Coins
- National Wonders Series 20 Dollar Coins
- NHL Goalie Mask Series 20 Dollar Coins
- North American Sportfish 20 Dollar Coins
- Seven Sacred Teachings Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 20 Dollar Coins
- Tall Ships Series 20 Dollar Coins
- The Migratory Birds Convention 20 Dollar Coins
- Transportation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- White-tailed Deer Series 20 Dollar Coins
- 25 Dollar
- 30 Dollar
- 50 Dollar
- 75 Dollar
- 100 Dollar
- 125 Dollar
- 150 Dollar
- 200 Dollar
- 250 Dollar
- 300 Dollar
- 350 Dollar
2018 Canadian $20 Norse Figureheads: The Dragon's Sail - 1 oz Fine Silver Coin
Face Value: $20
Composition: 99.99% Silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
For centuries, Icelandic sagas spoke of Viking expeditions to new shorelines that seemingly matched our North Atlantic coast. They chronicled Leif Eriksson's exploration of Helluland, "Land of Stone Slabs" (likely Baffin Island and the northern tip of Labrador ); of the timber-rich land aptly named Markland, "Forest Land" (Labrador); and a resource-rich area named Vinland — a place that seemed more myth than fact until the 1960s, when the remains of an 11th century Norse settlement were unearthed on Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula.
Today, L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site is recognized as the oldest European settlement in the New World, and the first authenticated Viking settlement in North America. Its artefacts and structures are proof that Norse ships did come to our shores more than 1,000 years ago, and that the fearless seafarers are a fascinating part of Canada's pre-Columbian history!
The perfect coin for someone who enjoys Viking history! Order today!
THE SHIPS THAT SAILED INTO HISTORY! Yours is the second coin in a three-coin series that re-visits the Viking Age, to a time when the naval expertise of Norse seafarers left an imprint on history wherever their ships came ashore—including Canada's east coast. Coins in your series include:
- Northern Fury (priced at $104.95, already available)
- Viking Voyage (priced at $104.95, expected availability date of March 2018)
HISTORY AND ART INTERTWINED! A joint celebration of the artistry and naval craftsmanship that are at the heart of an early chapter in Canadian history—one that was only uncovered in the 1960s!
VIKINGS IN CANADA! Your coin re-imagines Viking ships, as they likely appeared a millennium ago, when a Norse encampment was established on the site of L'Anse aux Meadows, N.L.—a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the only authenticated Viking settlement in North America to date!
COMPLEX AND COLOURFUL! Your coin features a reverse design that is as elaborate and intricate as the ship it depicts!
A TIMELESS QUALITY! The circular nature of the frame speaks to the timelessness of the Viking spirit, while the knotwork exemplifies the beauty of traditional Norse art.
INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins!
LOW MINTAGE! Set to 6,000 coins worldwide, this limited collectible is sure to be highly sought after.
ONE-OUNCE 99.99% PURE SILVER COIN! Your coin is GST/HST exempt!
The saga of Leif Eriksson's voyage from Greenland to Vinland inspired this reverse design by Canadian artist Jean-Pierre Vallée. In the background, the rugged North Atlantic coast of present-day Canada rises up from the sea, and resembles some of the new shorelines spied during Eriksson's expedition circa AD 1000. In the foreground, a fearsome Norse dragon ship sails into view. The sea-level perspective places a special emphasis on the square mast and highly intricate woodworking that made a Viking ship both a technical and artistic marvel in its time. Ornate carvings of gripping beasts lead up to the dragon figurehead on the prow, which was intended to ward off evil spirits while adding to the ship's imposing appearance. A similar Norse art-inspired pattern of interlaced serpents is replicated on the selectively coloured frame, which surrounds the artistic interpretation of an early chapter in Canada's history. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
Coins Unlimited offers secure shipping services worldwide via Canada Post. Upon payment confirmation, orders ship from our store location within 1-2 business days.
Standard Return Policy:
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment.
Offering secure, timely shipping services from Canada Post. For more information and availability regarding delivery services to your country:
Some products are not eligible for international shipment. Also, additional restrictions may apply.