- 1 Cent
- 3 Cent
- 5 Cent
- 10 Cent
- 25 Cent
- Birds of Canada 25 Cents Coins
- Canada Day 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Mythical Creatures 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Province 25 Cent Coins
- CFL 25 Cent Coin and Stamp Series
- Ducks of Canada 25 Cents Coins
- Holiday 25 Cents Coins
- Millennium 25 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 25 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 25 Cent Folders
- Olympic Vancouver 25 Cent Coins
- Predator vs. Prey 25 Cents Coins
- 50 Cent
- Butterfly Series 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Conservation Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Sports Firsts 50 Cent Coins
- Discovering Nature 50 Cent Coins
- Folklore & Festival 50 Cent Coins
- Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Golden Flower Series 50 Cent Coins
- Lenticular Dinosaur 50 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 50 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 50 Cent Coins
- Sport Series 50 Cent Coins
- Triangle 50 Cent Coins
- 1 Dollar
- 2 Dollar
- 3 Dollar
- 4 Dollar
- 5 Dollar
- 8 Dollar
- 10 Dollar
- Adventure Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Hockey 10 Dollar Coins
- Canoe Across Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Celebrating Canada's 150th Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Colourful Songbirds of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Day of the Dinosaurs 10 Dollar Coins
- DC Comics™ Originals 10 Dollar Coins
- Ducks of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- FIFA Women's World Cup 10 Dollar Coins
- Learning to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Legendary Nature 10 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes™ $10 Silver Coins Series
- O Canada Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Passion to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Reflections of Wildlife 10 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 10 Dollar Coins
- 15 Dollar
- 20 Dollar
- $20 for $20
- Aircraft of the First World War Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Architectural Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Aviation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Baby Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Bald Eagle Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Big Fish 20 Dollar Coins
- Bison Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Butterflies of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Landscape 20 Dollar Coins
- Celebrate Baseball 20 Dollar Coins
- Crystal Series 20 Dollar Coins
- First World War Battlefront Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Forests of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Geometry in Art 20 Dollar Coins
- Great Lakes Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Group of Seven 20 Dollar Coins
- Iconic Superman Comic Book Covers 20 Dollar Coins
- Landscape Illusion 20 Dollar Coins
- Lighthouse 20 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes 20 Dollar Coins
- Lost Ships in Canadian Waters 20 Dollar Coins
- Majestic Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- National Parks Series 20 Dollar Coins
- National Wonders Series 20 Dollar Coins
- NHL Goalie Mask Series 20 Dollar Coins
- North American Sportfish 20 Dollar Coins
- Seven Sacred Teachings Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 20 Dollar Coins
- Tall Ships Series 20 Dollar Coins
- The Migratory Birds Convention 20 Dollar Coins
- Transportation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- White-tailed Deer Series 20 Dollar Coins
- 25 Dollar
- 30 Dollar
- 50 Dollar
- 75 Dollar
- 100 Dollar
- 125 Dollar
- 150 Dollar
- 200 Dollar
- 250 Dollar
- 300 Dollar
- 350 Dollar
2016 Canadian 50-Cent Big Coin Series: Canadian Coat of Arms - 5 oz Fine Silver Coloured Coin
Face Value: 50-Cent
Composition: 99.99% Silver
Weight (g): 157.6
Diameter (mm): 65.25
The Canadian 50-cent coin uniquely reflects the intriguing history of Canada's evolution from British colony to independent nation. Appearing in various forms on the reverse of the Canadian 50-cent coin since 1937, the Canadian Coat of Arms references both Canada's colonial roots and its political and cultural status as a sovereign state.
Though it was the first Canadian coin struck at the new Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint when it opened in 1908, the Canadian 50-cent coin is a rare sight in everyday commercial transactions. In fact, many people, upon receiving this low-circulation coin, might slip it into their pocket to save, attributing to it a worth higher than its face value because of its relative rarity. Since 2004, the 50-cent coin has only been sold directly from the Royal Canadian Mint as a collector product.
Since 1937, the 50-cent coin has borne on its reverse the Canadian Coat of Arms. The original 1937 design by British artist G. E. Kruger-Gray was replaced in 1959 with an image by Royal Canadian Mint engraver Thomas Shingles that reflected contemporary changes to the Arms itself.
Drawing its inspiration from minting itself, your coin is an exquisite gift for someone who appreciates Canadian coins. Order yours today!
DESIGN FIRST ISSUED IN 1959! Your 5-ounce fine silver 50-cent piece features Canadian engraver Thomas Shingles's Canadian Coat of Arms design, first issued in 1959. This design has been used continuously on Canadian 50-cent pieces, with only two exceptions.
Your coin is part of our exciting 6-coin series of 5-oz. fine silver versions of Canada's 5-cent, 10-cent, 25-cent, 50-cent, 1-dollar, and 2-dollar circulation coins.
Selective colour on the reverse of your coin makes this coin particularly enjoyable.
99.99% PURE SILVER! Crafted in 99.99% pure silver, your coin is GST/HST exempt!
The reverse features Canadian engraver Thomas Shingles's Canadian Coat of Arms design in full colour. A yellow lion holding a blue, white, and red Union Jack flag on the left and a white unicorn holding a blue flag bearing three yellow French fleurs-de-lys on the right support a central shield divided into five sections bearing historical emblems of England, France, Scotland, and Ireland, as well as a sprig of three red maple leaves. The multi-coloured shield is encircled with a red ribbon representing the Order of Canada bearing the motto Desiderantes meliorem patriam, which means "desiring a better country." The shield is surmounted by a yellow, green, and black royal helmet within a garland of red maple leaves, upon which stands a yellow crowned lion holding a red maple leaf.
St. Edward's Crown, symbolizing Canada's constitutional monarchy, rests above the lion, which symbolizes Canada's sovereignty. The motto A Mari usque ad Mare ("from sea to sea") appears in yellow on a blue ribbon below the shield, along with a "compartment" or garland composed of the floral emblems of England, Scotland, France, and Ireland. The reverse is also engraved with the word "CANADA", the date "2016" and the face value of "50 CENTS". The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a graphic beauty box.
Canada Post: Rotating strikes are under way
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) has given notice that it intends to hold rotating strikes in Victoria, Edmonton, Windsor, Toronto (GTA) and Halifax beginning after 12:01 am on Monday, October 22 (local time), and lasting 24 hours. In those areas, mail and parcels will not be delivered or picked up. Canada Post continues to operate across Canada and they will be accepting and delivering mail and parcels in all other locations.
Latest developments are posted on this page.
Coins Unlimited offers secure shipping services worldwide via Canada Post. Upon payment confirmation, orders ship from our store location within 1-2 business days.
Standard Return Policy:
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment.
Offering secure, timely shipping services from Canada Post. For more information and availability regarding delivery services to your country:
Some products are not eligible for international shipment. Also, additional restrictions may apply.
Out of StockSALEC$499.95 C$549.95
Out of StockSALEC$459.94 C$549.95
Out of Stock