- 1 Cent
- 3 Cent
- 5 Cent
- 10 Cent
- 25 Cent
- Birds of Canada 25 Cents Coins
- Canada Day 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Mythical Creatures 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Province 25 Cent Coins
- CFL 25 Cent Coin and Stamp Series
- Ducks of Canada 25 Cents Coins
- Holiday 25 Cents Coins
- Millennium 25 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 25 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 25 Cent Folders
- Olympic Vancouver 25 Cent Coins
- Predator vs. Prey 25 Cents Coins
- 50 Cent
- Butterfly Series 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Conservation Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Sports Firsts 50 Cent Coins
- Discovering Nature 50 Cent Coins
- Folklore & Festival 50 Cent Coins
- Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Golden Flower Series 50 Cent Coins
- Lenticular Dinosaur 50 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 50 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 50 Cent Coins
- Sport Series 50 Cent Coins
- Triangle 50 Cent Coins
- 1 Dollar
- 2 Dollar
- 3 Dollar
- 4 Dollar
- 5 Dollar
- 8 Dollar
- 10 Dollar
- Adventure Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Hockey 10 Dollar Coins
- Canoe Across Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Celebrating Canada's 150th Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Colourful Songbirds of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Day of the Dinosaurs 10 Dollar Coins
- DC Comics™ Originals 10 Dollar Coins
- Ducks of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- FIFA Women's World Cup 10 Dollar Coins
- Learning to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Legendary Nature 10 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes™ $10 Silver Coins Series
- O Canada Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Passion to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Reflections of Wildlife 10 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 10 Dollar Coins
- 15 Dollar
- 20 Dollar
- $20 for $20
- Aircraft of the First World War Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Architectural Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Aviation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Baby Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Bald Eagle Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Big Fish 20 Dollar Coins
- Bison Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Butterflies of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Landscape 20 Dollar Coins
- Celebrate Baseball 20 Dollar Coins
- Crystal Series 20 Dollar Coins
- First World War Battlefront Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Forests of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Geometry in Art 20 Dollar Coins
- Great Lakes Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Group of Seven 20 Dollar Coins
- Iconic Superman Comic Book Covers 20 Dollar Coins
- Landscape Illusion 20 Dollar Coins
- Lighthouse 20 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes 20 Dollar Coins
- Lost Ships in Canadian Waters 20 Dollar Coins
- Majestic Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Migratory Birds Convention 20 Dollar Coins
- National Parks Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Natural Wonders Series 20 Dollar Coins
- NHL Goalie Mask Series 20 Dollar Coins
- North American Sportfish 20 Dollar Coins
- Seven Sacred Teachings Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 20 Dollar Coins
- Tall Ships Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Transportation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- White-tailed Deer Series 20 Dollar Coins
- 25 Dollar
- 30 Dollar
- 50 Dollar
- 75 Dollar
- 100 Dollar
- 125 Dollar
- 150 Dollar
- 200 Dollar
- 250 Dollar
- 300 Dollar
- 350 Dollar
2018 (1868-) Canadian $20 Royal Astronomical Society 150th Anniv Meteorite 1 oz Silver Coin
Own an extraterrestrial piece of our solar system with a real meteorite fragment on your coin
Founded in 1868, The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) has nurtured the passion of astronomers while fostering the curiosity of anyone who has ever looked up at the stars and wondered what lies beyond. Celebrate the 150th anniversary of the RASC with an awe-inspiring (and scientifically accurate) reverse design that adds a photo-realistic twist to the Society’s sesquicentennial logo! To top it all off, the design includes an authentic meteorite fragment, which is a fitting tribute to the contributions of RASC members.
• YOUR VERY OWN METEORITE—NO TWO PIECES ARE ALIKE! A real piece of meteorite makes a big impact on your coin—since no two pieces are alike, no two coins are alike making this coin unique!
• CELEBRATING CANADA’S SCIENTIFIC SPIRIT! A special 150th anniversary celebration of The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada! Through the contributions of its 5,000 members, Canada’s leading association of amateur and professional astronomers remains dedicated to the advancement of astronomy and related sciences.
• SOURCED FROM THE CAMPO DEL CIELO METEORITE FIELD! Coin includes a GUARANTEED authentic meteorite fragment! Sourced from the Campo del Cielo meteorite field, your meteorite fragment likely made impact some 4,500 years ago, but it was originally part of an iron mass that is likely billions of years old.
• INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
• 1 OZ. PURE SILVER: Crafted from 99.99% pure silver!
• LOW WORLDWIDE MINTAGE: Only 5,500 coins will be made available worldwide.
• GST/HST EXEMPT: Your coin is GST/HST exempt.
Designed by Alexandra Lefort, the 2018 (1868-) Canadian $20 Royal Astronomical Society 150th Anniv Meteorite 1 oz Silver Coin is a re-interpretation of The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada’s sesquicentennial logo in a scientifically accurate, photorealism art style. The original logo features stars that allude to Canadian contributions to stellar spectroscopy and photometry, and a globular cluster that honours the scientific work of Helen Sawyer Hogg and Canada’s cooperative partnerships; both are colourfully re-imagined here as the Eagle Nebula—specifically the pillars of interstellar gas and dust known as the Pillars of Creation, where the formation of new stars is a symbolic representation of the RASC’s beginnings (and by extension, its anniversary).
A fixture in RASC public outreach efforts, the Moon was chosen to represent the lunar calendars of the First Nations peoples, and the navigational astronomy that guided many European discoverers during Canada’s early history. Beneath it, the Andromeda galaxy—the nearest major galaxy to our own—is a symbolic ode to Canadian contributions to cosmology.
Blazing as it burns through Earth’s upper atmosphere, the depiction of a meteor is topped by a genuine iron meteorite fragment sourced from the Campo del Cielo meteorite fields, where the impact craters date back an estimated 4,500 years. Both the meteorite and the view of the Manicouagan crater in Quebec are a nod to the RASC’s longstanding interest in the study of planet geology, meteor dynamics and impact cratering, and to the excellence of Canadian research in these fields. Always fascinating, the space-weather phenomenon of the aurora borealis adds a “True North” flourish that a design that encapsulates 150 years of exploring the cosmos. The reverse also includes the word “CANADA”, the double commemorative dates “1868–2018”, and the face value “20 DOLLARS”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
About the Meteorite
Front and center on your coin, the extraterrestrial piece of our solar system was sourced from the Campo del Cielo meteorite field in Argentina, where a large fragment was first documented in 1576. A polycrystalline coarse octahedrite, the IA iron meteorite was recovered from one of 26 impact craters formed roughly 4,500 years ago, when a shower of metallic meteorites dispersed fragments across an area of roughly 320 square kilometres. The typical composition of a Campo del Cielo meteorite is 92.7% iron, 6.15% nickel, 0.42% cobalt, 0.37% carbon and 0.28% phosphorus.
Coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box. Certificate of Authenticity included.
Mintage: 5,500 Composition: 99.99% silver Finish: Proof Weight: 31.39 g Diameter: 38 mm Face Value: 20 dollars Certificate: Serialized
Coins Unlimited offers secure shipping services worldwide via Canada Post. Upon payment confirmation, orders ship from our store location within 1-2 business days.
Standard Return Policy:
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment.
Offering secure, timely shipping services from Canada Post. For more information and availability regarding delivery services to your country:
Some products are not eligible for international shipment. Also, additional restrictions may apply.
- 1 Cent