- 1 Cent
- 3 Cent
- 5 Cent
- 10 Cent
- 25 Cent
- Birds of Canada 25 Cents Coins
- Canada Day 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Mythical Creatures 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Province 25 Cent Coins
- CFL 25 Cent Coin and Stamp Series
- Ducks of Canada 25 Cents Coins
- Holiday 25 Cents Coins
- Millennium 25 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 25 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 25 Cent Folders
- Olympic Vancouver 25 Cent Coins
- Predator vs. Prey 25 Cents Coins
- 50 Cent
- Butterfly Series 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Conservation Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Sports Firsts 50 Cent Coins
- Discovering Nature 50 Cent Coins
- Folklore & Festival 50 Cent Coins
- Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Golden Flower Series 50 Cent Coins
- Lenticular Dinosaur 50 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 50 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 50 Cent Coins
- Sport Series 50 Cent Coins
- Triangle 50 Cent Coins
- 1 Dollar
- 2 Dollar
- 3 Dollar
- 4 Dollar
- 5 Dollar
- 8 Dollar
- 10 Dollar
- Adventure Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Hockey 10 Dollar Coins
- Canoe Across Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Celebrating Canada's 150th Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Colourful Songbirds of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Day of the Dinosaurs 10 Dollar Coins
- DC Comics™ Originals 10 Dollar Coins
- Ducks of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- FIFA Women's World Cup 10 Dollar Coins
- Learning to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Legendary Nature 10 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes™ $10 Silver Coins Series
- O Canada Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Passion to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Reflections of Wildlife 10 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 10 Dollar Coins
- 15 Dollar
- 20 Dollar
- $20 for $20
- Aircraft of the First World War Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Architectural Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Aviation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Baby Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Bald Eagle Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Big Fish 20 Dollar Coins
- Bison Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Butterflies of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Landscape 20 Dollar Coins
- Celebrate Baseball 20 Dollar Coins
- Crystal Series 20 Dollar Coins
- First World War Battlefront Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Forests of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Geometry in Art 20 Dollar Coins
- Great Lakes Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Group of Seven 20 Dollar Coins
- Iconic Superman Comic Book Covers 20 Dollar Coins
- Landscape Illusion 20 Dollar Coins
- Lighthouse 20 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes 20 Dollar Coins
- Lost Ships in Canadian Waters 20 Dollar Coins
- Majestic Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Migratory Birds Convention 20 Dollar Coins
- National Parks Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Natural Wonders Series 20 Dollar Coins
- NHL Goalie Mask Series 20 Dollar Coins
- North American Sportfish 20 Dollar Coins
- Seven Sacred Teachings Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 20 Dollar Coins
- Tall Ships Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Transportation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- White-tailed Deer Series 20 Dollar Coins
- 25 Dollar
- 30 Dollar
- 50 Dollar
- 75 Dollar
- 100 Dollar
- 125 Dollar
- 150 Dollar
- 200 Dollar
- 250 Dollar
- 300 Dollar
- 350 Dollar
2016 Canadian $200 Great Canadian Explorers Series: Pierre Gaultier de la Verendrye - Pure Gold Coin
Face Value: $200
Composition: 99.99% Gold
Weight (g): 15.43
Diameter (mm): 29
In the early 18th century, much of this country's vast land remained relatively uncharted. Few settlers could anticipate the enormity of the terrain that lay to the west, beyond Lake Superior, in a time when stories of a "great western sea" stirred the imagination of those seeking a shorter route to the trading riches of the Far East. Inspired by First Nations accounts of a western waterway, French-Canadian soldier and fur trader Pierre Gaultier de Varennes et de La Vérendrye (1685-1749) set out to discover this mythical body of water. His journey would open up the land and waterways of present-day Manitoba, bringing La Vérendrye and his men farther into the Canadian West than any previous explorer of European descent.
From 1731 to 1743, La Vérendrye's expedition brought the era of exploration beyond the Great Lakes, reaching all the way to the eastern edges of the Rocky Mountains. Largely unheralded in his time, La Vérendrye has since become a historical figure whose perseverance and sense of adventure embodies the very spirit of the voyageur experience that shaped the history of Canada.
Own an original work of art depicting one of Canada's most renowned and compelling historical figures. Order today!
50 PERCENT REDUCTION IN MINTAGE! This year's mintage is only 1,000—a 50% lower mintage from the previous year!
Beautifully crafted in 99.99% pure gold!
Fifth coin in the continuing Great Canadian Explorers series, which commemorates the more than 400 years of exploration that have shaped the history of Canada as we know it today.
HISTORICAL ACCURATE! Impeccably engraved with great attention paid to historical accuracy and details—the result is a powerful portrait of French-Canadian explorer Pierre Gaultier de Varennes et de La Vérendrye on his journey into the Canadian West.
MULTIPLE FINISHES AND TEXTURES enhance the details that provide a more natural look and feel to La Vérendrye, the First Nations guide, and the outdoor setting as the expedition prepares to press westward on their continuing journey.
HIGHLIGHTS THE FUNDAMENTAL ROLE OF ABORIGINAL PEOPLE IN CANADA and throughout its history and the role that First Nations guides played in La Vérendrye's exploration of present-day Manitoba.
Your coin is GST/HST exempt.
Designed by Canadian artist Glen Green, your coin features a full-length portrait of the famous French-Canadian explorer and fur trader, Pierre Gaultier De Varennes et De La Vérendrye. The explorer is depicted in a campaign uniform, complete with a trimmed tricorn hat made of beaver fur, a sword beneath his capote and a military officer's distinctive gorget at his neck. Moving along the rocky shores of Lakes of the Woods with a compass in hand, La Vérendrye uses the butt of his musket to steady an occasional step while his attention remains fixed on the horizon, in search of the fabled "great western sea." Just a few steps to his left, a First Nations guide—one of the many whose advice and assistance was essential to the expedition—holds a hunting bow as he advises La Vérendrye, while a member of this expedition stands next to a canoe on the shore. In the background looms the outline of Fort St. Charles; built by the expedition in 1732, this key trading post is made visible by its palisades, with two of its four bastions standing out among the surrounding forest. Meticulous engraving enhances this historical snapshot, adding intricate details and textures to the period clothing in a manner that transforms this depiction into a fitting tribute to a historical figure and a striking collectible piece of art.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
Coins Unlimited offers secure shipping services worldwide via Canada Post. Upon payment confirmation, orders ship from our store location within 1-2 business days.
Standard Return Policy:
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment.
Offering secure, timely shipping services from Canada Post. For more information and availability regarding delivery services to your country:
Some products are not eligible for international shipment. Also, additional restrictions may apply.
- 1 Cent