COVID UPDATE: Offering curbside and limited in-store browsing. Masks optional.
- 1 Cent
- 3 Cent
- 5 Cent
- 10 Cent
- 25 Cent
- Birds of Canada 25 Cents Coins
- Canada Day 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Mythical Creatures 25 Cent Coins
- Canadian Province 25 Cent Coins
- CFL 25 Cent Coin and Stamp Series
- Ducks of Canada 25 Cents Coins
- Holiday 25 Cents Coins
- Millennium 25 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 25 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 25 Cent Folders
- Olympic Vancouver 25 Cent Coins
- Predator vs. Prey 25 Cents Coins
- Prehistoric Creatures Series 25 Cent Coins
- 50 Cent
- Butterfly Series 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Conservation Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Canadian Sports Firsts 50 Cent Coins
- Discovering Nature 50 Cent Coins
- Folklore & Festival 50 Cent Coins
- Gold 50 Cent Coins
- Golden Flower Series 50 Cent Coins
- Lenticular Dinosaur 50 Cent Coins
- Olympic Mascot 50 Cent Coins
- NHL Hockey 50 Cent Coins
- Sport Series 50 Cent Coins
- Triangle 50 Cent Coins
- 1 Dollar
- 2 Dollar
- 3 Dollar
- 4 Dollar
- 5 Dollar
- Birthstone Series 5 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Wildlife Series 5 Dollar Coins
- Coloured Silver Maple Leafs 5 Dollar Coins
- Flowers in Canada Series 5 Dollar Coins
- Full Moons of Algonquin 5 Dollar Coins
- O Canada Series 5 Dollar Gold Coins
- Tradition of Hunting Series 5 Dollar Coins
- Calendar in the Sky Series 5 Dollar Coins
- The Legend Of Nanaboozhoo Series 5 Dollar Coins
- Zodiac Series 5 Dollar Coins
- 8 Dollar
- 10 Dollar
- Adventure Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Hockey 10 Dollar Coins
- Canoe Across Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Celebrating Canada's 150th Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Colourful Songbirds of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- Day of the Dinosaurs 10 Dollar Coins
- DC Comics™ Originals 10 Dollar Coins
- Ducks of Canada 10 Dollar Coins
- FIFA Women's World Cup 10 Dollar Coins
- Learning to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Legendary Nature 10 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes™ $10 Silver Coins Series
- O Canada Series 10 Dollar Coins
- Passion to Play 10 Dollar Coins
- Reflections of Wildlife 10 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 10 Dollar Coins
- 15 Dollar
- Classic Lunar Series 15 Dollar Coins
- Continuity of the Crown 15 Dollar Coins
- Exploring Canada 15 Dollar Coins
- Lunar Lotus 15 Dollar Coins
- Maple Hologram Series 15 Dollar Coins
- National Heroes 15 Dollar Coins
- Playing Card Series 15 Dollar Coins
- Vignettes of Royalty 15 Dollar Coins
- Zodiac Series 15 Dollar Coins
- 20 Dollar
- $20 for $20
- Aircraft of the First World War Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Architectural Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Aviation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Baby Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Bald Eagle Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Big Fish 20 Dollar Coins
- Bison Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Butterflies of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Canadian Landscape 20 Dollar Coins
- Celebrate Baseball 20 Dollar Coins
- Crystal Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Dinosaurs of Canada Series 20 Dollar Coins
- First World War Battlefront Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Forests of Canada 20 Dollar Coins
- Geometry in Art 20 Dollar Coins
- Great Lakes Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Group of Seven 20 Dollar Coins
- Iconic Superman Comic Book Covers 20 Dollar Coins
- Interconnections 20 Dollar Coins
- Landscape Illusion 20 Dollar Coins
- Lighthouse 20 Dollar Coins
- Looney Tunes 20 Dollar Coins
- Lost Ships in Canadian Waters 20 Dollar Coins
- Majestic Animals Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Majestic Maple Leaves 20 Dollar Coins
- Migratory Birds Convention 20 Dollar Coins
- National Parks Series 20 Dollar Coins
- National War Memorials Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Natural Wonders Series 20 Dollar Coins
- NHL Goalie Mask Series 20 Dollar Coins
- North American Sportfish 20 Dollar Coins
- Second World War Battlefront Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Seven Sacred Teachings Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Star Trek™ 20 Dollar Coins
- Tall Ships Series 20 Dollar Coins
- The Legend Of Nanaboozhoo Series 20 Dollar Coins
- Transportation Series 20 Dollar Coins
- White-tailed Deer Series 20 Dollar Coins
- 25 Dollar
- 30 Dollar
- 50 Dollar
- 75 Dollar
- 100 Dollar
- 125 Dollar
- 150 Dollar
- 200 Dollar
- 250 Dollar
- 300 Dollar
2017 Canadian Royal Canadian Mint Coin Lore: The Forgotten 1927 Designs - Fine Silver 3-Coin Set
Face Value: Set - Includes one 25-Cent, 5-Cent, and 1-Cent coins.
Composition: 99.99% Silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
They were specially chosen for Canada's circulation coins in 1927, to commemorate Confederation's Diamond Jubilee; alas, the stunning designs never made it onto a single coin. Instead, "the coins that never were" quietly faded into the background, becoming part of coin lore and a footnote in history... that is, until now.
Nearly a century later, we've dug deep into our vault to retrieve these long forgotten coin designs and bring them to life! This three-coin set is more than a link to Canada's past, or a powerful tribute to the illustrious artists — it's our way of taking up their mantle and seeing their vision through.
Working with the original sketches and little else, we set out to interpret the 90-year-old designs. And by treating them as though they were entrusted to us today, we've transformed these designs into a powerful bridge between past and present.
A beautiful gift for someone who enjoys coin design history! Order today!
A BEHIND-THE-SCENES PEEK! A glimpse of the Royal Canadian Mint's archives!
JOINING TWO MILESTONES! On the 150th anniversary of Confederation, we look back on history to re-visit proposed coin designs from another milestone year: Confederation's Diamond Jubilee in 1927!
A FIRST! This marks the first time these designs have appeared on coins, and they may be the only coin designs submitted to the Royal Canadian Mint by Group of Seven co-founder J.E.H. MacDonald and renowned muralist Gustav Hahn! You could say these coins were 90 years in the making!
A CAREFUL BALANCE! Our team of engravers pored over every little detail of the original sketches in order to interpret each artist's vision, while adapting it for today's engraving techniques and finishes.
A DESIGN THAT STANDS OUT! The matte field on each coin puts the focus squarely on the beautifully engraved elements that truly shine!
INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coin sets. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
LOW MINTAGE! This coin set is limited to just 5,500 sets worldwide.
EACH COIN IS ONE OUNCE OF 99.99% PURE SILVER! Your coin set is GST/HST exempt.
All three coins feature the unused circulation coin designs intended to commemorate Canada's Diamond Jubilee in 1927. Working with the original sketches (and little else), the Royal Canadian Mint's engravers set out to interpret each artist's vision as though the art had been entrusted to them today, to mark Confederation's 150th anniversary. The 90-year-old concepts have been painstakingly adapted for modern engraving techniques—including a reverse proof finish that allows the more brilliant engraved elements to shine bright against the matte backdrop.
One-cent coin design:
The one-cent coin features an Art Nouveau-inspired design by Canadian artist Gustav Hahn (1866-1962), with a bough of maple leaves encircling the commemorative dates "1867-2017".
Five-cent coin design:
The five-cent coin by Canadian artist J.E.H. MacDonald (1873-1932) features a crowned lion gripping a maple leaf as it stands perched on a rock, which represents the changing Canadian landscape cradled by the sea; beneath the forepaw is Canada's motto, "A MARI USQUE AD MARE" ("From Sea to Sea"), while the commemorative dates "1867" and "2017" are inscribed beside the lion.
25-cent coin design:
A second design by MacDonald graces the reverse of the 25-cent coin, and centres on a soaring view of the iconic Peace Tower on Parliament Hill. The clock tower soars high above the clouds and is surrounded by a ribbon-wrapped laurel of leaves, from which hangs four bells—an ode to the Dominion Carillon, which was inaugurated on July 1, 1927, during the Diamond Jubilee festivities. Each bell bears engraved numbers that combine to form the commemorative dates "2017" and "1867".
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
Bullion Gold & Silver Coins, Bars:
1/2 oz, 1 oz, 10 oz, kilo pure gold and silver bullion coins, wafers, bars, rounds, etc are available for in-store pick-up only, no shipping options available.
No verbal price reservations, holds, lock-ins. Price is sensitive to up-to-the-minute purchase.
Accepted payments included cash, bank transfer, certified cheque. No credit cards.
Coins Unlimited offers secure shipping services worldwide via Canada Post. Upon payment confirmation, orders ship from our store location within 1-2 business days.
Standard Return Policy:
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment.
Offering secure, timely shipping services from Canada Post. For more information and availability regarding delivery services to your country:
Some products are not eligible for international shipment. Also, additional restrictions may apply.
- 1 Cent